How To Build A Website.
Create Your Killer Site (From Scratch) In 10 Mins.
Have you ever wanted to build a website to promote your business, showcase your portfolio or start a personal blog?
But the thoughts of dealing with some mind-boggling computer codes always prevent you from getting started?
If so, you have come to the right place!
There is nothing more annoying than the never-ending list of technical jargons.
You end up feeling confused. You feel overwhelm by all the alien terms that you just do not understand.
Hiring someone to setup a website is probably the easiest way in the past. The only issue is good webmasters are hard to find. It can be quite costly even if you do manage to find one.
How can you easily get a website up and running with little or no technical knowledge? The DHW Method.
How I Create My Website Using The DHW Method?
Let me break this down for you step-by-step. The DHW Method is about building websites based on a PROVEN framework. It contains three major components.
Choose a perfect domain name for your website to establish your online identity.
Sign up for a low-cost web hosting package that is fast, reliable yet affordable.
Install WordPress and create your own beautiful and unique website easily and quickly.
You can complete the whole process in just a matter of minutes.
That may sound unbelievable!
Let me show you a video right below. It is an unedited live recording on how I created this website in just 10 minutes.
Creating your own website can be a fun and enjoyable task.
It all starts with choosing the right domain name.
Choosing an appropriate domain name allows you to create a good online presence so that your customers or readers can find you easily.
Like choosing a name for a company, choosing the perfect domain name for your website requires some serious thoughts into it.
Examples of a domain name are www.google.com or www.facebook.com.
There is more than 271 million active domains. Finding a good domain name is definitely not an easy task. It is very likely that someone already own the first few names that you are thinking of. This is indeed a frustrating experience.
Here are some considerations for a good domain name.
- If you have a brick and mortar business, the domain name should match as close as possible to your business name. You may want to consider some variations like appending with an additional word (e.g. your location) if those choices are not available.
- Choose only .COM for your domain name. People still perceive a site with .COM as legitimate despite the many other extensions. If your website is for an organization like a charity or church, using a .ORG is highly recommended.
- A short name is better as it is easy to type and promote.
- A name that fits your purpose, catchy and easy to remember is ideal.
- Avoid including hyphens and numbers.
- Ensure your domain name is not easily misread by people. There are many well-known examples of companies or individuals who did not spend enough effort to choose a suitable domain name. For example:
http://www.ExpertsExchange.com => http://www.ExpertSexChange.com
http://www.PenIsland.net => http://www.PenisLand.net
http://www.TherapistFinder.com => http://www.TheRapistFinder.com
You can go to www.whois.net to check whether your shortlisted domain name is available. The check result is instant.
The steps below show you how to check if your chosen domain name is available.
- Go to www.whois.net
- Type your shortlisted domain name into the textbox and click Go.
- If the name is taken, you will see a message stating that the name is already registered.
- If the name is not taken, you will see a message stating that the name is available.
(Note: They may prompt you to buy the domain. Please hold on to the purchase. I am going to show you how to get a free domain below.)
Once you decide on your domain name, you need to buy it from a domain registrar. Strictly speaking, you are not really buying it. You are actually leasing it. A domain name requires a yearly renewal. Do mark it in your calendar so that you do not forget to renew.
If you let the renewal lapses, someone else can secure and use it. Alternatively, you can renew it for a longer period (e.g. 2 years, 5 years or 10 years). The registration process is covered in the next section on Hosting.
Do not rush through the process of deciding your domain name. Whatever you decide, it shapes your online identity forever. Take your time. It is normal to spend up to a few weeks before finalizing the domain name.
What Comes After the Domain Name?
Now that you have settled on the best domain name for your site, it is time to find a place to host your website (a.k.a. “Hosting”).
There are two options when it comes to website hosting: a free service and a paid package. The deciding factor depends on what types of services and features you are looking for.
Free hosting sites like Wix.com, WordPress.com and Blogger.com are all great choices to host your website. Despite being free, they are really a feasible way to host your site if what you need is just a simple website.
The challenge comes when your requirements for the website increases. For example, you need more bandwidth to keep up with the increasing number of visitors to your site. Or you need to install a Shopping Cart to allow your customer purchase products online.
In addition, many of these free options have restriction and limitation. For example, Wix.com displays their Wix Ads on your webpage.
You are also limited in terms of what templates you can choose from and what additional functionalities you can add and customize. Limited technical support can also be a big area of concern with free hosting option.
Go with a paid hosting plan if you want complete control over your website.
Paid hosting plans offer more control, more flexibility, more storage, more bandwidth and a higher level of security. As a paid service, you get that extra level of customer support when you need it the most. Also you have the complete freedom to make your site look and behave exactly the way you want.
There are several reputable web-hosting companies out there including Bluehost, HostGator and GoDaddy. All of them offer competitive prices with good functionalities and support. My personal top choice will be Bluehost. I use it to run many of my websites. They are one of the largest webhosting companies powering over 2 million website globally.
Another reason for choosing Bluehost is WordPress strongly recommends them. WordPress chooses only three companies to recommend among the thousands of web hosting companies out there in the market. These three companies represent some of the best and brightest in the hosting world. It is okay if you do not know what is WordPress. I will be sharing more in the next section.
Most web hosting companies now provide you with unlimited storage space and bandwidth. What separates Bluehost from the rest of their competitors is their level of commitment to support you on all the technical issues. They also maintain their own servers and software. That translates to a more secure and reliability hosting experience.
One question you might have in mind now is how easy is it to manage your website? The idea of running your own server may sound daunting. To put you at ease, many webhosting companies including Bluehost allow you to administer your website through cPanel.
cPanel is a super user-friendly administrative tool that makes it really easy to run and maintain your website. It has a simple point and click interface. No longer do you need to type alien computer commands in a black screen.
By the way, Bluehost offers you a free domain name when you sign up with any of their hosting package.
The steps below guide you on how to register for a new hosting account with Bluehost.
- Go to Bluehost account signup page.
- Choose the hosting plan that best suits your needs by clicking on the green “select” button. I recommend you to start with the Starter plan if you are planning to have only one website.. You can always upgrade to a higher plan later.
- Enter your desired domain name into the “new domain” panel and choose your URL extension. Click “Next”.
- If the name is available, you will see a congratulation message and a form asking for some account, package and billing information. If the name is not available, Bluehost will prompt you for another name together with a list of alternative suggestions. Enter a new name and click “Next”.
- Enter the required information and click “Next”. There are a few add-ons available under the package information. It is ok to unselect them if you are unsure. You can always add them later. If you select the Starter plan, choosing the 36 months plan offers you the best value.
- After Bluehost process your payment, it displays a “Welcome to Bluehost” page. Follow the instructions on the screen to create your password.
- You can now start building your new website right away.
There are numerous ways to build your website.
In the early 1990s, website developers painstaking coded web pages using HTML and controlled the look and feel using CSS style sheets.
Few years later, websites get more interesting and interactive with advanced technologies like Adobe Flash (formerly called Macromedia Flash).
There are many powerful HTML editing programs like Adobe Dreamweaver that can assist developers to code their website. But there is still a huge learning curve for anyone who wishes to build their own website.
There is good news. It is much easier now for anyone to create stunning website without any technical knowledge. This is due to the rapid development in the Content Management System (CMS) technology.
CMS is a software system that targets at users with no technical background. It helps them to create and manage website content with relative ease.
Some of the common CMS in the market include WordPress, Joomla and Drupal. Among them, WordPress is the most popular CMS. More than 60 million websites rely on WordPress to power their website. It is an open-source software with hundreds of volunteers contributing to it. It is completely free to use it.
For the first-timer, I strongly recommend you to go with WordPress. It is definitely one sure-fire method for getting your website online fast due to the straightforward setup and ease of use. The platform is so flexible and powerful. I am confident it can fulfil whatever requirement you have.
You can install WordPress using your cPanel in your Bluehost account with just a few clicks. It is a perfect choice for newbie. Once WordPress is setup, you can easily add new content, upload images and even add videos.
The steps below guides you on how to setup WordPress in your Bluehost account.
- Login to your Bluehost cPanel account.
- Click on “Install WordPress” under the Website section.
- Click on the green “Install” button.
- Select the domain you would like to install to. Click on the green “Check Domain” button.
- Tick the checkbox for the terms and conditions. Click on the green “Install Now” button.
- Monitor the progress bar at the top.
- Click on the black “View Credentials” button once it is completed.
- Click on View under the Action column.
- Your WordPress installation is completed. Please copy down the credentials to a safe location.
- Click on the URL to visit your website. You should see the default “Hello World” WordPress page.
To hire a designer to create a stellar design for your website can easily cost up to a few thousand dollars. Even so, there is no guarantee that you will like the design.
Thanks to the community of amateur and professional designers contributing countless of free WordPress themes, you can make your website uniquely yours.
There are premium WordPress themes that are equally stunning. And they cost around $50. It is definitely worth considering.
WordPress has been around for a while now. You can literally find a theme for every niche including everything from professional photography showcases, personal blogs, company websites and eCommerce sites.
The steps below show you how to install a new theme for your WordPress website.
- Login to your WordPress Admin Page.
- Navigate to Appearance > Themes on the menu on the left.
- Click on “WordPress.org Themes” above the page. You can browse through the free WordPress themes.
- Mouse over any design that catches your attention and you will see a “Install” button and a “Preview” button.
- Click on “Preview” to take a more detailed look at the theme.
- Click on “Install” to install the theme and you will see a message informing you that the installation is successfully.
- Click on “Activate” and enjoy your newly installed theme.
You can have your content up on your website in minutes with WordPress even if you did not created any web page before.
There are two types of content in WordPress. You can either add a post or add a page. It is normal if you get confused between the two.
Posts are entries listed in reverse chronological order on your website’s home page. Use posts if your website is a blog.
Pages are for static content such as your Product page or About Us page. They are not listed by date.
The way to add a post or page is identical. The steps below focus on adding a page.
- Login to your WordPress Admin Page.
- Navigate to Pages > Add New on the menu on the left.
- Enter the page title and the content.
- Click on the “Preview” button on the right to have a look at the page before publishing.
- Once the content looks good to you, click on the blue “Publish” button.
- Your page is now live and your visitors can see it now.
These few easy steps guarantees you a quick way to a professional looking website. There is no need for a degree in computer science or classes in graphics design.
All it takes is some right guidance for the task and you will be online in no time. I hope you enjoy this tutorial on my DHW Method. Good luck!
Need Help? You Got It.
The folks here at HomePageDIY.com are passionate about building website. We always try our best to guide anyone to create their own website with as little challenge as possible. While we like this tutorial to be comprehensive, we believe there will always be some specific questions that is floating in your mind.
No question is a stupid question. It is our job to help you figure them out. Please drop us a note via the form below. Your query will be answered as soon as possible.